Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Democratic fears versus realities.

I had pointed out possible friction in national administration during the consulting stage of the  drafting of  the constitution of Bhutan. But had no inkling of the tug of war kind of administrative confrontations that took place after 2008 until Lyonpo Sonam Kinga shared the excerpts from his forthcoming book.  I know he was fried over for sharing it on eve of Primary Election. I have no way of confirming his point of views but I give due cognisance to his former position as Deputy and then as Chairperson of National Council. He has to know far more than I a man on the street.  As such, I thank him at least for exposing some aspects that are not in public domain.

For example as a man on the street, I had no idea about the tussle over REC ( Royal Education Council ) pointed out by the former NC Chairperson.  In fact in my writeup,  I had opposed the appointment of a foreigner to head the REC without ever suspecting that REC itself was a contentious political issue at that time. My position was purely based on the fact that Bhutanese should be incharge of Bhutanese National Agencies. I did not suspect that the foreigner was a royal appointee. After all " royal " is a common title choice in the Kingdom as in Royal Audit Authority or Royal Thimphu College. And I was most relieved and happy when a Bhutanese was put in charge of REC. 

Today I do not look at any election local or national taking place within our Country as contest between pro-royal forces and anti- royal forces nor as any outcome as being pro or anti India or China. As an interested stakeholding common Bhutanese citizen, I stick to substance of an issue and avoid divisive or destructive politics. I am guilty of " prejudiced " voting for PDP in the Primary because PM TT is from Haa.  But I tried my best to be apolitical in my writeups and directed all thoughts to the pros and cons of an issue. And  I have attempted to counter unhealthy forces out to disrupt national unity or seemingly attacks on the Reign by political wings whether for short term political gains or long term socio-political impact.

As highlighted in the REC case,  we who are out and away from the power arena do not understand nor are aware of power dynamics at the centre. But thats a blessing in disguise. It allows us to be our true selves and therefore the goodness in not being factors of divisiveness.  We can foster unity by uphold trust in the Reign of our King and strengthening any weakness.

No comments:

Post a Comment