Bhutan the last 10 years.
Today the Nation pays homage to the first decade of the reign of His Majesty King Jigme Khesar Namgyel Wangchuck. Deviating from general platitudes and tributes in celebration of the occassion, I shall recap what I can recollect from amongst the happenings that I can sort of retrospect of the last decade ( 2006- to- 2016). My own humble way of paying respects for peace and good health in the past 10 years.
1. The signing of the re-negotiated Indo- Bhutan Treaty of 1949 at New Delhi.. Bhutan was to become truly master of her own foreign affairs under the new Treaty.
2. The 4th King abdicating in favour of the 5th King
3. The Kings voluntarily empowering the people and abolishing absolute Monarchy system in favour of constitutional Monarchy.
4. The 1st National Council Election. And the 1st General Election in 2008 and formation of the 1st Democratic Government under DPT Political Party led by Prime Minister Jigmi Y Thinley .
5. The adoption and signing of the historic Constitution by the King and the MPs in the presence of Drugyel Zhipa.
6. The Public Coronation of the 5th King and celebration of the 100 years of Wangchuck Dynasty Reigns.
7. The Royal Wedding.
8. The successful nation wide Local Governnent Elections. And Celebrating 100 years of modern education.
9. The cadastral re- survey exercise of land holdings and grant of land Kidu. Thus empowering national livelihood through land distribution and ownership by the King.
10. The 1st constitutional case review by the Supreme Court on legislative process for taxation.
11. The 2nd National Council Election. And the 2nd General Election in 2013 and also the first Primary Election contest between 4 Political Parties. For the 1st time, Bhutan came face to face with direct outside intervention in internal governance process. . (Thankfully the nation seems to have now recovered to some degree of confidence and stability).
12. The formation of 2nd democracy Government under PDP Political Party led by Prime Minister Tshering Tobgay.
13. The National Celebration of the 60th Birth Anniversary of the Triple Gem King the great Drugyel Zhipa.
14. The unprecedented leave of one year absence by His Holiness the 70th Jhe Khenpo. Thankfully His Holiness is now back on active duty.
15. The 2nd constitutional review by the Supreme Court on matters of Thromde creations and term of office for Local Government elected officials.
16. Successful and smoothly conducted Two Bye - Elections and 2 Phases of Local Governnent Elections by the Election Commission of Bhutan.
17. The demise of original SAARC and introduction of a smaller inner pact of 3+1 regional retrogressive club.
18. Visible progresses in Bilateral relationships with India and in Border Talks with China since the bleak period of 2013 General Election. Also contact with America was achieved at the higher level of Secretary of State. Bhutanese Leadership gained a higher state of calibration since 2013 low tide ( my perception).
19. The Birth of the Crown Prince His Royal Highness Jigme Namgyel Wangchuck. Probably the undisputed biggest national happening of the decade if national ecstacy was measured.
The decade had much ups and few downs. But as in all journeys, what counts is the final lap. The Tsawa Sum is in good health. And may these 3 Pillars of the Kingdom remain ever so in good health under the benevolent reign of His Majesty King Jigme Khesar Namgyel Wangchuck and the Blessings of Drugyel Zhipa and the Deities.
Pelden Drukpa Gyelo!