The Summit was held in Chinese city of Hangzhou. And if you have been listening to BBC and CNN people, all you would recollect would be the disparaging remarks and conclusions of the western media people. They said nothing important gets done in such meetings.
The western news channels were in their own way most frustrated. At G- 20 Summit in China, the foreign journalists got no special treatment. And worse they were not really briefed on what really went on at one to one talks between leaders. So though they know a lot had to be achieved during such gatherings yet they as news channels did not have much to report. The world leaders are wary of their media distorting everything to excite their audience.
The G-20 Summit confirmed the crucial role of China at the world order.
1. China and United States made a joint statement to ratify the Climate Change Agreement.
2. Turkey which had been jolted by the attempted coup leaned towards China and Russia.
3. Britain was coerced by United States and Japan to deny Chinese involvement in the nuclear energy projects but Prime Minister May refused to buckle. She deferred her decision on the nuclear investments but confirmed that her government wanted to take relation with China forward. It is clear that the joint trio nuclear project of France, China and Britain will take off by end of this month.
4. United States has been encouraging Philippines to resist China on the South China Sea issues. Unfortunately, things went haywire and Obama ended up cancelling a pre-scheduled meeting at Loas with the President of Philippine. They may still meet but the antagonism has become public.
5. Philippine may not be prepared to throw off the red dragon. But to placate America, Philippine maybe prepared to agree to an increase in American naval base.
6. The young Prime Minister of Canada publicly critised China on human rights records. And then to the chagrin of United States, signed up to Asia Infrastructure Investment Bank spearheaded by China. AIIB is Chinese equivalent of World Bank spearheaded by China.
7. China and Russia had the meeting of minds on the issues of Middle East especially Syria. But United States and Russia could not make much headway in their talks on how to go about the wars in Syria.
8. India and United States signed a logistic agreement to assure the service of their defence facilities to each other's forces. And Prime Minister Modi signed a $500million aid to Vietnam to buy armaments and United States is giving Loas $90 million to destroy US bombs dropped on Loas decades back and still lying unexploded. In other words India and United States are propping up the immediate neighbours of China. But nothing really much can console either United States and India. It is not in the national interests of Vietnam and Loas to be anti China.
9. Pakistan is so crucial to United States and India in their quest to contain China policy and the war in Afghanistan. And here both are badly disconnected. The $ 46 billion economic corridor of China and Pakistan that includes Pakistan occupied Kashmir is simply a political tsunami and cannot be resisted. Prime Minister Modi found no softening of Chinese Policy in backing Pakistan.
10. Iran is partnering with Russia in the Syrian war. And Iran is turning to Chinese investment and technology in revamping her economy that was shredded under many years of sanctions imposed by United States and allies.
11. China did not hesitate to pay off the protocol snuffs of the United States security teams when XI Jinping visited visited America. The missing red carpet for Obama may have been a mishap rather than deliberate plan. But protocol hostility was a payback which even President Obama also acknowledged gamely.